About Me

My photo
Wichita, Kansas, United States
I am chief among sinners, rescued from the despair of my former life by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ. It is not my desire to judge, but as a simple beggar, I wish to tell others where I found the Food that leads to Eternal Life, Jesus Christ, the Bread of Life and the True Vine.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Loneliness

Sometimes I experience loneliness. Heart-rending, mind-bending loneliness. Often, as I understand, HIV/AIDS is accompanies by clinical depression. So I attribute much of my melancholia to the effects of HIV/AIDS. I am fortunate in having a supportive family. By the grace of God, my parents, although elderly, are still alive, and I am living with them. I am thankful that God has not left me without caring, human contact. Some are not so fortunate.

I recently had what used to be called a "nervous breakdown", or "nervous exhaustion." Now they call it a severe "anxiety attack." What stood between me and voluntary self-committal were some very helpful therapists, and my family. I openly wept in their arms. God forgive me. I cried like a baby--the completely helpless cry of someone at the end of their emotional resources. I cried out for fear of being left alone.

I said "God forgive me", because the resources of my heavenly Father are unlimited. The grace of God in our Lord Jesus Christ were sufficient for the Apostle Paul, regarding his "thorn in the flesh". Yet I am poor in faith, and sometimes it is difficult to trust all my cares to God, Whose arms I cannot see or feel. But that is just the point. We are to live by faith, not by sight. We trust in the Truth when all around us seems to fall apart. 

But we often forget the arms of those in the Church, ready to hear our confessions before God, ready to support and uphold those of us who fall in their own weakness. And we all fall--continually. But God has given us the Church of Jesus Christ, members of the very Body of Christ who are His arms and legs, His hands and feet. Christians are saved to be "Lone Rangers", but are to serve one another and bear one another's burdens. And the Church had been a very real solace to me in this difficult time.

You say you know and love Jesus Christ. Do you also know and love His Church, that He bought for such a dear price?

No comments: